What a cute idea courtesy of the Ginger & Garlic Blog. Here's their tutorial for how to make this delicious edible centerpiece:
1 styrofoam cone (small or medium size) from your local craft store.
Cookie cutters with various shapes (I used a gingerbread-man and star shaped cutters)
Assorted fruits - I used green and black grapes, strawberries, kiwis, dried cranberries and a honeydew melon.
My styrofoam cone was green in color, if you only have a white one then I suppose you could drape some green paper on a white cone or attach fruits very densely so it resembles more like a tree trunk.
- Using the cookie cutters create various shapes out of the melon slices.
- Attach toothpicks to the styrofoam cone. Attach one piece each of a fruit to a toothpick. (Think free-form; as the tree starts building you will know more about which fruit combinations are looking better and how densely packed you want your tree to be).
- Continue building the tree as dense as you want!
- Use cilantro leaves as grass garnish.
- Enjoy your new edible fruit tree!!