How many times has this happened to you - your sink gets clogged and you have no Drano in the house. Cheryl over at Tidy Mom has a great homemade drain cleaner made with stuff you likely already have around the house. Here are her directions for how to unclog a drain with baking soda and vinegar:
Unclog a drain with Baking Soda and Vinegar
- Pour 3/4-1 cup of baking soda in the drain.
- Pour 1/2 cup vinegar in the drain and immediately cover the drain (I use a plug or set a plate over it – you want to keep everything inside the drain)
- Leave everything to sit and work for about 30 mins (don’t use the sink during this time)
- After 30 mins, remove the cover and let hot water run thru the pipes for about 2-3 mins.
- For really tough clogs you may need to repeat – but I find if I do this on a regular basis (about once a month) it keeps my drains clear and fresh with out any problems.
Better for your pocketbook, and better for the environment - love it, Cheryl!